Monday, December 04, 2006

Advent-urous

I went to my friend Freya's church for the second time this weekend... I think I am finally at a point where I'm doing pretty well, and am able to go and hang out, and observe, and not freak out about needing to feel like I fit in somewhere right away. That makes me a lot less judgmental than I was most of last year, where I spent most of my time not talking to people because I thought that either they wouldn't like me or I wouldn't like them (which, when you don't really give people a chance, tends to make for a self-fulfilling prophecy).

Anyhow, Freya's church is really interesting... there are only about 15-20 people there any given Sunday, and they all have dinner together beforehand. Then they go over to this other room, and everybody picks out some sort of rhythm instrument, and they have this big, giant, drum-circle type worship. There are a lot of artists there, and last night one guy did this photo/painting during the service, which I happen to find so beautiful that I almost cry just looking at the thumbnail. Then they have art stuff set up in the corner, paints and chalk and oils and such, and you can wander over and do artwork during the service if you want.

This was the first Sunday of Advent, and I'm glad I went to church. It's one of the few seasons (the other being Easter) where we have any sense of tradition or ritual in the Protestant church, any sense of marking the time and seeing ourselves, collectively, as part of a larger picture. I don't really know why I love advent, in fact, most of my memories about it involve fighting over who got to light the candles. But I like being reminded to slow down and wait. Advent is about waiting. I used to like to think alot about hope and waiting. Now I'm a little busier living, instead of always thinking. According to Christian tradition, advent is about recalling the anticipation of the birth of Christ, and anticipating a day when he returns. Somebody last night said he tried to think about what Mary would feel like, waiting for the baby to be born. I said I thought she would want foot rubs every night, and somebody to bring her food to her on the couch in the living room.

Those two anticipations seem very different though. One is about reliving anticipation that achieved relief. The second anticipation is about waiting on something that seems so crazy you can hardly believe anybody really thinks it might happen. Waiting on something you want that may be a long-shot in the universe. This year, for me, both faith-wise and otherwise, advent is not so much about reliving anticipation for things that are already here. It's about waiting for things, things you wonder if your heart might break in two without, and not really being sure if they will ever come.

2 comments:

Daeha said...

Former Daily Staff Member says:

First and foremost, happy new year Julie! Discovered your blog recently, good to see you writing. Gonna retro comment here.

The advent season has passed, yet looking back, I think advent teaches us about slowing down and being aware of your surroundings, living the moments in the present, as opposed anticipating the next few minutes. Modern life is very time-oriented, everyone needing to be somewhere and wanting things right now, hence the feeling of anticipation. Still time is luck, know the value of every living moment and live for it without simply waiting on something that may or may not produced the desired results.

I read your hope and waiting entry, a very good insight in that hope is exactly that -waiting, for what? This self-generated feeling of anticipating something is without taking action to realise the outcome, like hoping your apartment will be clean but not cleaning it.

All I've mentioned above I believe translates back into waiting for Christ's birth and his return as having faith that things will happen by the decision you make however big or small while living your everyday life, complete with trials and tribulations. Faith is believing God will put you on a collision course towards your destiny by virtue of you making specific choices that will cause things to happen towards that pathway. Faith is waiting with action without anticipation.

I came across your blog while looking for your "Anatomy of A Crush" article, remembered loving it as a thoughtful piece. Since I'm a newcomer to this blog, I went back to read your old posts. Needless to say, I enjoyed them alot. You're well-written thoughtful and introspective, especially in your candid approach in discussing how your faith, integrating itself into your everyday life without being preachy. Refreshing indeed. The non-religious posts are fun too.

I'm looking forward to your future posts. And I still remember that picture of you besides JC's on the wall, bangs and all. :)

Cheers,
Daeha
daehako@gmail.com
Former Daily News Staff '02

Daeha said...

Here's good passage from Psalms on waiting:

Wait on the Lord, be of good courage, and he shall strengthen thine heart. Wait, I say on the Lord.

Psalms 27:14