Monday, March 17, 2008

Try this at home

After a rough month or so at work after the holidays, something needed to change.

Thursdays, especially... my day chock-full of one after the other 13-year-old-boy, these poor kids who come see me in my dungeon because they're failing their classes or getting kicked out of class too much, and they're too old to think it's cool to have a "special friend" at school but still too young to actually understand complicated concepts like responsibility and choices and options in, oh, say, going to class, doing their homework, and not talking back to the teacher.

So, I did what any self-respecting professional would do: I started wearing fun socks to work.

And it actually worked. Who knew? Pink, rainbow, striped, polka-dotted, knee-highs... for some reason, they make a world of difference. Most people have no idea, but I can see them from my chair when my knees are crossed, peeking out. And in a statistically completely insignificant random sampling of one person (me), I have conclusive evidence that fun socks make a long day a lot easier to bear. It worked so well I tried it on Monday this week, with equally spectacular results.

1 comment:

LindsayDayton said...

Sometimes, it's the little things, ain't it? :)

Thanks for your post. My work day couldn't possibly have been as challenging as yours, but I have no doubt that pink stripey socks would have improved it nonetheless.