Wednesday, July 30, 2008

books vs. movies

My two competing interests these days seem to be my Netflix account and my LA public library card. For a while it was great to just come home and zone out to The Closer, but I finished season 3. So today we've got Freakonomics vs. season 1 of The Sopranos. I think we're tipping towards the book today... one episode of The Sopranos wasn't quite enough to suck me in, but the book's intro already has me on the edge of my seat. When I was in school, studying economics, I always said I was fascinated with it because, at heart, it's not really about money at all. It's the study of how people make decisions. And, as the authors put it, tantalizingly, it's the study "of how people get what they want." Might be right up my alley.

Plus, I think I'm ready to think again a little. Not that I haven't been thinking lately, just about different things. Since I arrived in LA, actually, I've blessedly learned a very important thing: how to be a being, doing person a bit more instead of always an asking and pondering sort of person. Really, I think I've learned how to live better in the last few years. But it's been awhile since I read anything that makes for good dinner table conversation.

1 comment:

Swiftyjess said...

You might also like The Tipping Point.
For other time sucks, I suggest Six Feet Under. Maddeningly addictive.