Wednesday, September 03, 2008

I just went to break-up therapy with my ex-boyfriend. Trippy. Challenging, to say the least, but cathartic. I mean really, who goes to therapy after they break up, just to do the breaking up better, unless they're working out a major co-parenting arrangement (well, or unless they're a therapist with a twisted curiosity to watch a professional handle an emotional un-coupling, even if it's her own)? Me, that's who. Who needed some support and safety and containment (as in, one hour, not-a-minute-longer, then say goodbye for now with someone there to tie up our loose ends and keep us accountable to not getting all mushy and misty-eyed and missing each other on the way out the door). I'm not suggesting that we're BFF now; we amicably agreed to steer clear of each other for a little while longer. And I won't pretend that I'm done being angry, but it feels better to have said some stuff and not just be beating my own head against the wall alone at the end of the day. Honestly, if we were never going to see each other again in social circles, then maybe just running for the hills would have been an easier path to take. Or if I were one of those people who could compartmentalize broken, cut-off relationships with no resolution. But for better or worse, I'm just not one of those people.

No comments: