Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Why?

If you are a boy, could you explain to me why boys like to talk so much on dates?

As in, tell a 15-minute story about themselves, ask you a question, let you get two sentences into your answer, and then remember another 15-minute story about themselves they need to tell?

I actually got to the point where I wondered if "looking interested" was a bad idea, possibly encouraging this pattern to continue. I caught myself wondering what would happen if, mid-sentence, I interrupted and said "OK, now we've come to the part of the evening where you pretend to be interested in me."

4 comments:

Addie said...

That's not a boy. You accidentally went out with a woman. I'm so sorry to have to break it to you.

I also find chatty boys annoying, but it's probably because I prefer to be the one dominating the airspace.

JulieBee said...

Surprisingly enough, Addie, the last few boys I went out with were this way! And not in a metrosexual girly-type way. Sort of in an "I like to talk about myself and I'm happy to hear about you but only if you interrupt to tell 15-minute long stories about yourself too." It's definitely more of a blind-date occurrence than an I-know-you-already-date occurence, so maybe they get nervous.

I'm more of a give-and-take, interactive conversation type girl... :)

Addie said...

Amen. Now, tell me about your favorite trip or vacation.

:)

Daeha said...

Take this from a guy. We like to think we are impressing the opposite sex by rattling off on our credentials, memorized facts, etc, but we are really compensating for our nervousness and insecurity.

I had these same habits, discovered what I was doing, focus on listening instead.