Tuesday, March 07, 2006

Milestones: happy no more tuesdays

That's Happy No-More-Tuesdays, not Happy-No-More Tuesdays... in four and a half hours I'll be done with 11-hour days of class. Spent the last day of clinical lab role-playing a suicidal adolescent girl. The cool thing about today was the sense of balance that is creeping in for the first time... between talking about elder abuse and postpartum depression, we had a potluck marking the end of clinical foundations class, where we reminisced over two quarters of in-jokes and drama, and talked about transitioning into practicum. Somewhere along the way we've gone from people who know nothing and are stressed out about it, to people who know only infinitesimal amounts more but who can laugh about it now. I was having trouble seeing it before today, but it finally helps me realize how far we've come since orientation week.

I kept a list of professorial quotes this quarter, here are a few of the more entertaining ones (not sure if they're funny... maybe it's just therapist humor?):

"So what would that mean to you if....?" (regarding anything - i.e. if I hugged you, if I were your mother, if you wore red shoes today)

"who's that idiot who wrote the book about men having caves? how come women don't get to go into caves? he doesn't need a cave, no, he's depressed, you idiot!"

"I used to hate depressed clients"

"Why won't you take your Prozac!? Just put it on the pile. Treat it like a vitamin deficiency."

"Psychotic persons should not be traveling the world. that's just a bad thing."

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey,I like how you roleplay a suicidal adolescent girl and have a potluck, I think that is awesome. But seriously, it might be because I really dig potlucks.

Jennifer said...

Haha I laughed out loud at your quotes, thanks for sharing:)