Friday, August 03, 2007

High Sierra

I bought a sweater at Mervyn's last week. A flimsy little cotton, lightweight, stretchy zip-up thing that will be perfect for work this winter (because I live somewhere where winter temperatures occasionally dip to, say, 65 degrees), with a completely-for-looks-because-it's-totally-useless flimsy cotton hood that only covers half your head.

And what brand was this little ditty? High Sierra.

Now, I know this sweater was not designed with the high Sierra in mind, but I'm not sure why a company who makes flimsy sweaters decided to call themselves High Sierra. Even Low Sierra Day Hike would have been a stretch. Maybe City Park on a Very Dry, Windless Summer Afternoon. I have been to the high Sierra, and this sweater would do you absolutely no good at 12,000 feet, except maybe for a pillow, only then your companions would scoff at you for wasting a lot of perfectly good space and weight in your pack hauling something that only has one function, and really, nobody wants that, right?

Anyhooo.... speaking of the high Sierra, I'm heading there tomorrow morning! And, in an extremely condensed version of the last week of my life which I will expand upon later, I accepted a job starting in September, so I can head off to the woods without the weight of having no idea what the future brings. I'll be stationed in Bridgeport and backpacking in Yosemite until the end of August!


No comments: