Thursday, September 29, 2005

List - o - randomness

OK, here is what I am thinking today. It's mostly neurotic, which is what happens when I spend too much time alone.

* I love my classes. I love studying something that I am actually going to use someday, instead of just filling my brain with esoteric ideas that are fun to talk about but don't really ever translate into real life.

* I am afraid of studying something useful, because it means that I will actually have to use it, which involves being evaluated (I can handle taking tests, but videotaping myself practicing therapy makes me want to pee my pants, which I do not really want on tape). It's one thing to be found incompetent in something I don't care about (like filing, or decorating Pete's office). It is an entirely different thing to risk being found incompetent at something I actually care about doing well. I spent the last two years gleefully churning through jobs, because those "failures" (which they were not) didn't mean anything. If I fail here, if I'm a royal bomb of suckage in the therapy arena, then I will have failed at something I actually wanted, which is an entirely different scenario, of which I am petrified. It's been so long since I felt competent at anything that I'm afraid to get my hopes up.

* When exactly did I become a person who assumes I am going to fail at anything that matters?

* I really like hummus.

* Anne Lamott says she mainly only prays two prayers: "Help me help me help me" and "Thank you thank you thank you." I am using them heavily this week, with the occasional addition of, "and ten degrees cooler would be nice."

* I think there are many Christians who could stand to have their definition of "worship" expanded beyond "singing in church."

* Thank you thank you thank you God for surprise conversations with neighbors who turn out to be really cool, just when you really need a good conversation to pull your day out of the trash.

* I will be less cynical tomorrow

1 comment:

Swiftyjess said...

You can't fail at therapy because you have so many people on your side to support you through it. Plus if it's God's plan for you then you can't fail, can you? I mean you might stumble alot, but that is to be expected.