Tuesday, November 15, 2005

Top Ten Reasons You Know You're Not in Berkeley Anymore

Becky D posted her top 10 reasons here on the B-Did Blog, but she's in Boulder now and I can't say any of ours overlap. In contrast, here's the LA version (hint, this may not make much sense unless you read Becky's first):

10. It was 85 degrees today.
9. I regularly encounter a 12-lane freeway on my way to work/school.
8. Craigslist exists, but you're more likely to find a job as a personal assitant to a minor celebrity than you are to be cold-calling to save the environment.
7. I've stopped adding the possibility, "if there's traffic" to driving estimates.
6. I was almost run over by a herd of Hummers on a recent bike ride.
5. Ditto on the lack of oxygen, but for different reasons. It is disturbing to be unable to see mountains that are 5 miles away.
4. There are still homeless people, but instead of holding signs that say "Money for pot?", they've each claimed a cart from the 99-cent store one block over, and push them up and down the street collecting cans, so I bring my recycling out to them every week.
3. The Metro Gold Line is impossible to find and doesn't have a parking lot. I tried to take public transportation and they seem to be trying to keep me on the freeway!
2. White people are a minority.
1. OK, can't comment on the governor thing, so I'll just add that I may be the only person within 50 miles who still eats bread.

No comments: