Thursday, April 13, 2006

Matzo Ball Soup

I went to a Passover seder tonight. I really enjoyed it - it was nice to get a deeper understanding of stories I saw acted out on felt boards in Sunday school (although the felt board stories usually focused more on Jesus than on the 10 plagues of Pharoah). I also really enjoyed the matzo ball soup. And, apparently, many other things, since I am so full right now I'm going to have to waddle to bed.

Anyhow, there was a liturgy in the middle of the Haggadah (I'm not actually sure if you call something a liturgy, if it's not in church, but that's how I'm choosing to explain it) where I learned the Hebrew word Di'anu, meaning "it would suffice." And that is your little teaser, which I will expand on tomorrow -- both the liturgy itself and why it was so compelling.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

We used to be invited to Passover Seders. I loved learning the history and the traditions. For some reason, I never got that fulfillment in a Christian church.
Can't wait to read what else you have to say about it.

RC said...

i've been to and coordinated a few passover saders before and it's interesting how you can see jesus in this fun important ceremony from the time of exodus...more people should experience this.

--RC of strangeculture.blogspot.com