Friday, May 12, 2006

heaven on two-wheels

Hey everybody... next week (May 15-19) is National Bike-to-Work week, culminating in Bike-to-Work day on Friday, May 19!!

Why should I bike, you ask? Well, OK, so all of you know the reasons. You're commuter- and enviro-savvy. It's good for the earth, it's good for your body, it makes a political statement, you arrive at work more alert and in a better mood, it reduces our national dependencies on oil and caffeine. It's a tangible way of being the change you want to see in the world. If you're not already a fan, give yourself a chance to let biking rock your world.

So, I'm going to donate $1 for every mile that you guys bike on Friday, either commuting, or running an errand, or some other activity that you would have done in a car. It's this easy:
  1. Bike to work (don't forget to wear a helmet)
  2. Take a picture of your bad self on your studly two-wheeled wonder
  3. Send me the picture, tell me how it went, and send me your mileage.
I'll send a check to Dave Willis at Wild Hope, a non-profit faith-based organization that I've guided for, which is heavily involved in advocating for the protection and expansion of wilderness, and getting people (from college students to journalists to politicians) out into wild places to, among other things, experience it in a way that helps them understand why it's worth preserving.

If you absolutely can't ride, I'll still make a donation for anyone who replaces a car trip with public transportation (ask a stranger to take a picture of you on the bus... it's a great way to make friends) or carpooling. But if you can ride, do! Check out informational resources here, or ask me, or go down to your local bike shop - they're always friendly. Feel free to include your friends/SOs/coworkers... I'll make a donation for anyone you guys recruit to bike to work if you send me a picture in all your spandex glory*.

* spandex not required

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sweetness... this is a a good incentive to get back to making this my my primary mode of travel. I'll make the effort!

Bronwyn said...

Hmmm... although I only live three and a half miles from my school, biking in East Oakland is basically suicidal (driving is bad enough!) And there aren't really sidewalks so much on some streets. And I'd have to take THREE buses to go under four miles. Believe me, I've tried, but even with the crack dealers still asleep at that time in the morning, it's pretty dangerous. :( I promise to bike to work more than once a year if I ever get a new job!

Anonymous said...

excuses, excuses, bron... :)

Bronwyn said...

Hey, I biked around Davis for 5 years, does that count? :)

Anonymous said...

In LA - find your path on www.bikemetro.com

Anonymous said...

Does strolling ones' child around the neighborhood count?
Hmmmmm

Anonymous said...

I didn't even know it was bike to work week.. but I rode in today and I'm totally stoked I actually did it on the right day!

Jennifer said...

Hey julie! i walked to my foundations small group to and from my apt last thurs. i took a picture but what's your email?? it's about 2 miles. have a great night!