Saturday, May 27, 2006

Synchronize me

So, I bought an iPod.

What finally pushed me to do it was that I'm taking a distance learning class this summer, and when I went to pick up the course materials I had the choice of getting a 5-inch thick, 30-lb binder full of course materials and 20 CDs, or I could get the entire course in PDF and MP3 format on two CDs that fit into my purse. So, to save a few trees, I opted for the mp3 option, which conveniently also gave me an excuse to finally buy an iPod so that I could listen to the lectures on the beach instead of sitting in front of my computer. I ended up going home and finding a great deal on one on Craigslist and drove straightaway to West Hollywood to pick it up, so within two hours of stopping by the Distance Learning office I was busy trying to figure out how to work this thing.

And then I discovered podcasts.

I can get news. Music. Spanish lessons. NPR's Wait Wait Don't Tell Me. I could even download sermons via podcast, except that I still think that church is supposed to be a community-affirming experience and I refuse to partake alone in my bedroom.

So if you need me these days, you can probably find me in the kitchen, doing dishes, mumbling Spanish vocabulary under my breath.

4 comments:

Bronwyn said...

Are those podcasts free or do you have to pay for them? Cause that's pretty tempting...

Anonymous said...

I don't know how to do the pod cast thing yet. We barely know how to work our iPod. Have fun!

Anonymous said...

sermons on tape/cd/mp3/webcast rock. no distractions. sometimes community is distracting. church is still good, but if the sermon stunk.. go home and listen to anyone from around the country online! my solution.

JulieBee said...

Yup, I thought about that after I posted. So I should amend to say that I won't *replace* church with podcasts... but I guess that would go without saying.