Friday, May 12, 2006

scheduled maintenance

I had my "week seven breakdown" this week, right on schedule. This one was a little bigger than previous week seven fireworks*, as it included irrational thoughts about dropping out of grad school and wondering which I need more - a therapist or a babysitter. My current "to do" list contains items such as: 1. Brush teeth. 2. Dress self - matching optional. 3. Stop losing things.

Anyhow, this one was pretty cathartic, as my despondency over feeling out of control seems, so far, to have snapped me back to a place where I'm ready to start figuring out what I do have control over. But Goat had the pleasure of walking me through it... and as I was sitting in class the next day, I had to grudgingly admit that I'm high maintenance (thanks to all of you who have known that for years and humored me). Scott Peck writes that mental health is an ongoing process of dedication to reality at all costs. Does kicking and screaming count?

*"week seven" is grad-school speak for the point in the quarter where you're exhausted from the work and adjusting to a totally new schedule, but you're not yet close enough to finals week to taste the end.

No comments: