Sunday, October 16, 2005

Awkward Email of the Week

Do you ever just get an email that makes you go, what the @*$#&??

Yesterday I was contacted by someone claiming to be the long-term girlfriend of the guide who trekked with us through Peru four months ago. Recently, after reading all of his email and talking to his friends, she has come to believe that he cheated on her with one of us, and wants us to confirm or deny these rumors so that she knows whether or not to move out and go back to Australia. Today, she emailed three more times. Huh?? What am I to do with these emails? Do I have an obligation to write back to someone I've never met, whose presence and story come out of nowhere, or do I ignore her, knowing that I have information that, if I were her, I might want to know? I mean, it's not like the guy was an angel, but he was my friend (and a darn good salsa dancer), and I don't know her from Adam.

Thoughts?

2 comments:

Swiftyjess said...

My first inclination is to have you talk to HIM and then I realized that only involve you more. I think now that you should tell her you feel badly for her but she should talk to him.
And also maybe to stop emailing you 652 times.

Becky said...

Can I just say, every time I think about those few days in Cusco, I get a silly grin on my face? I'd give anything to be salsa dancing with our Peruvian cuchihuatus right now instead of sitting here at work!