Wednesday, October 12, 2005

Random Adventure of the Week

Last Friday, I went to a trivia competition in Little Tokyo with my friend Phillip... it was a benefit to fund scholarships through the Asian American Journalism Association, and was populated mostly with journalists and lawyers and other assorted folk who read the paper a lot more often than I do. My trivial knowledge is apparently mostly of the trivial sort, while theirs seems to relate more to useful trivial about literature and current events and the like.

Out of five 20-question rounds (which, if my brain is still worth anything, amounts to 100 questions), I maybe knew the answer to five or so, mostly in the arts and entertainment round. Plus, there were a few I was really close on (unfortunately no partial credit), like "who were the four original Ramones?" (I got three of them, apparently Dee Dee joined later). I also knew that Persephone was a goddess of the underworld, and that Elvis died on August 16, 1977. I did not, however, know the name of some big rock in British Columbia, the exact date of the London tube bombings, or who wrote Remains of the Day. Feel free to write in and scold me if you think those were easy.

Mostly I just sat around in bewilderment, enjoying the free food. And at least we beat the high schoolers, even if they were the state smarty-pants decathlon champs.

1 comment:

Becky said...

I've been frequenting "Pub Quiz" night at the local Irish Pub in Boulder. I think you'd find it much more your style. But when they solicit a volunteer from each team to compete in a beer chug-off to break a tie at the end of each round, I can't help but feel alittle old...