Thursday, January 12, 2006

Freegan

Meet Matt. He's a guy I play ultimate with. In the last week I have learned that he lived on a bus for a while (a decommissioned city bus) and the reason he lives in SoCal is because that's where he was when he got tired of driving the bus around the country. Matt is 25, and he's marrying his 34-year-old Italian girlfriend so she can get a visa. Since Matt doesn't have a car, he brings Nicole (another ultimate friend) and I large bags of tangerines from his tree in exchange for rides to winter league games.

Matt is also a Freegan. When Nicole mentioned this on the way home from our game on Monday, I hesitated to ask what that meant, since it sounded kind of sketchy and I didn't know what the reply would be. Turns out it's just a better name for Dumpster Diving. Matt eats for free. He "shops," and takes anyone who will drive him, behind the Trader Joe's on Arroyo. So I went with him and one of his friends the other night. When they picked me up in the getaway car, I felt like I was one of the characters in Arlo Guthrie's "Alice's Restaurant," except I was taking garbage out secretively in the middle of the night rather than putting it in. . According to Matt it was an "average" night at the dumpster... on a good night, apparently there's lots of cheese. I happily trucked home two bunches of flowers.

I'm not sure if there's a point to the story, but it's been an interesting week.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'd rather get flowers from a dumpster than eat cheese from one!
That's a very interesting story. Keep 'em coming!

Anonymous said...

I'm glad you picked flowers instead of food. But this is one thing that I enjoy about you. I love that you see adventure where I would see diguist and an event that takes me way out of my comfort zone.

Have a good week.
Tiffany