Tuesday, January 10, 2006

more verbatim

"I mean really, if you're trying to kill yourself, lithium's the way to go. I'll tell you how in a little while." -my psychopharmacology prof

"Before this class is over, you will have lost your innocence. If you're still naive about people, and you want to stay that way, you are not in the right program." - my psychopathology prof

Ahhh, now we're getting to the juicy stuff. It's not exactly "weed-out" material in the academically rigorous sense, but it is causing us all to ask if we really want to open Pandora's Box any further. As Thomas Cardinal Woolsey said, "Be very, very careful what you put into that head, because you will never, ever get it out." We started up Psychopathology and Ethics after the break, and even those of us who still feel like we made the right decision to be here can't help but wonder what it will be like to undergo a course of professional preparation that gives us unceasing awareness of the pathology and dysfunction of everyone from our best friends to our bus drivers. It's like X-ray goggles that you can never, ever take off.

I may have lost much of my naivete about people a while ago, but I still feel a bit like Eve, about to chomp on that apple and get smacked with the knowledge of good and evil.... :):)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You can't say the class is borning at least?!

Anonymous said...

HAHAHA i love this post, Julie. I totally agree with this post. You truly are a unique thinker.