Friday, January 06, 2006

The winter of our discontent

OK, so really I like quotes like this because they make me feel better about the general state of discontent my 20s have turned out to be, like maybe it's OK that sometimes the world just seems like a messy place to be.

"You are a Christian only so long as you constantly pose critical questions to the society you live in... so long as you stay unsatisfied with the status quo and keep saying that a new world is yet to come." - henri nouwen

In practice, I'm still working on finding a balance.... and I suppose if I had to choose I'd rather be content being discontent that discontent with contentedness, because in the first one you ultimately get to be content at the end of the day but still hold out hope for people and try to be a change agent in whatever small way you've been given to influence. But to get there I have to figure out the content thing. So maybe life is a long process of figuring out which of your discontent to be content with and which discontent you should either do something about or get over and just be content. Another cool quote on the topic, via Becky D:

"If the world were merely seductive, that would be easy. If it were merely challenging, that would be no problem. But I arise in the morning torn between a desire to improve the world, and a deep desire to enjoy the world. And that makes it hard to plan the day." -eb white

But speaking of the winter of my discontent, will someone please tell LA that 85 degrees is a totally inappropriate temperature for January?

No comments: